Friday, January 21, 2011

SHAPING UP THE TRIANGLE GARDEN

A garden bed that has been in existence for some time has been given a more refined look by adding an edging of terracotta tiles.  The tiles were originally on the roof of the Lych Gate erected in 1919 to house an honour roll for those who had served in World War 1 at the  Orley Avenue Congregational Church in Stirling.  The Church was sold, but the Lych Gate relocated to the purpose built Uniting Church at Sunset Rock.  They chose not to re-install the Australian Made (Eureka Pottery) terracotta tiles, so we were given the opportunity to purchase them.  In the centre of the garden is a weeping standard Seafoam Rose which Rod gave me for my birthday in 1993.  On each point a Rosa "The Fairy" is planted.  I started with 2 of these roses in 1989 which were planted in another garden.  I propagated several new plants when I transplanted the original bushes to the triangle garden.  The new plants were also planted around the edges of the triangle but only one new plant has survived neglect.  I am a little worried that because it is not a grafted rose it too may not perform, but time will tell.  In conjunction with the edging I have planted French lavender between The Fairy roses and an inner border of Purple Cloud agapanthus which I moved from a position where they have never flowered in the 9 years that I have had them.  There is still some concreting of the tiles to be done before the job is finished but overall the result is pleasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment