Saturday, December 29, 2018

Strawberry Fields Forever

It turns out that it you give strawberries love and attention they grow bigger and better.
In winter this year I replanted my strawberry runners into a new position. Mixing chook poo and home grown compost into the soil I made mounds to plant into. Despite the felling of the pine tree dropping bits onto the strawberry plants in September they revived quite well when the patch was cleaned up. After picking some medium fruit in November and December, often sharing the biggest ones with millipedes- grrrrrrr - I then cut off the runners, spread some Rapid Raiser fertiliser and laid down some pea straw. My efforts have indeed been rewarded with larger strawberries and more of them. The straw making it harder for the millipedes and generally keeping the fruit out of the dirt.
Lastly a fence of bamboo on all sides is needed to keep the kangaroos from having their share.




No comments:

Post a Comment