Saturday, June 8, 2013

Sorting, salvaging and storing seeds

As far back as 1989 I started collecting seeds which I bought, swapped, collected from my own garden or was sometimes given by friends. A few seeds soon became a box of seeds. Empty film containers were the perfect receptacle for storing the different varieties. 
Sorting the empties.

Flower, herb and vegetable seeds.

Some were still in their unopened original packets.


Out of the box and onto the shelf. Flowers down one end.....

....vegetable seeds down the other end. The tablet containers
were the more recent receptacle for storing current seeds but
take up too much space. I will still keep large quantities such as
oriental poppies in the larger tablet containers. 
Film is certainly a thing of the past for most
of us. I will be sure to hang on to these canisters
which may become quite rare.


These red faux leather boxes sit in front of the canisters and
hide them from view.
 I have collected a large container of mixed flower seeds and another one of mixed vegetable seeds. I do not want to waste time and potting soil trying to get these extremely out of date seeds to grow, but I will scatter them in an area and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.



No comments:

Post a Comment