Saturday, April 20, 2013

Gardening with Sid


 My grandfather was a passionate gardener. After he passed away and the estate was being finalised and the house and garden were being cleared for sale, this item was given to Rod and I as we had a big property and would probably find a use for it. It is now about 25 years later and only because Rod remembered how we came to have this tool that I have embraced it as my most treasured garden implement. Not only for it's sentimental value but because I find it easier than most tools to dig holes for planting. Before my acknowledgement Rod had been using it to dig many a trench. The shaping on the end is just the thing for making a start, even in our hardened, clay soils. I like that not only have I Pop's tool, but I also have his passion.
Trenching Shovel


Sidney John Roe's Stetson 
I also have one of Pop's hats. It is well worn and probably the one he wore in the garden, not the one he would have worn for best. My appreciation of this item was immediate from when I took possession of it. It sits on a reproduction luggage rack and looks quite the part. 

The Real Deal

No comments:

Post a Comment